Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hospital Tour & Pediatricians

On Saturday, Mike and I toured Royal Oak Beaumont’s Family Birthing Center.


I think it will be a great place for our families to wait – there is a 24-hour cafeteria, Starbucks, a bakery and more. In fact, our first tour stop was the bakery and Mike looked around at all of the pregnant women drooling and asked “How many people do you lose here on the tour?” Definitely should have been the last stop!

Next was the Triage unit, followed by the birthing room and the post-delivery room. All were very nice, but I’m not going to lie, the birthing bed terrified me. What a weird contraption! And did you know there are even things that come out of the ceiling for the doctor to use during the delivery? WHAT??? I didn’t ask specifically what those things were. They also shared that during delivery, they now let you drink instead of just having ice chips. That’s where I got excited – I said, “Alcohol?” The nurse laughed and said no, “Just clear liquids.” What a bummer, that sure would have made the delivery process a little more appealing (and tolerable!).


Finally, it ended in this little classroom where the nurse talked went over important things like what to bring to the hospital, visiting hours, etc. But, she also told us we should all have our pediatrician picked out before delivery. Never even thought about that one – can I blame it on pregnancy brain?! So – I started doing research on the Internet and found a few that got good reviews. But I figure there is nothing better than a referral from family or friends – so if you use a great pediatrician or know of one, please let me know!

On a side note, I am interviewing doulas over the next couple weeks. I’m not sure that I really need one, but if I am going to try this delivery thing (which is what Mike really wants – even though I’d be good with a C-section!), I think I am gonna need someone who is totally there for me. I thought many of them were the granola-type – very holistic, no drugs, etc., but I was wrong. They really are there to just support you in your decisions and make the whole process easier.

God knows I love my husband, but for those of you who know him as well as I do, you also know about his ADHD. I think he might get a little distracted or at least try and sneak a peek of things, which he is forbidden from! And my mom would probably be the only other one even allowed into the room (no offense everyone else!). Again – love her – but when I start cussing and wanting to hurt someone for getting me in this position, well she’ll be telling me to “Suck it up!” Probably not what I need. So we’ll see what this doula thing is all about and I will get back to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment