Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Meet Averie Morgan

Sorry that it has taken so long to post, being a new mommy is hard work ... and finding the time to write this up seemed almost impossible.

I am so proud and honored to announce that Averie Morgan arrived on August 14th at 4:11 p.m. She was 6 pounds, 4 ounces and 18 inches long - and absolutely stunning. Here is our story.

On Saturday, August 13th, mommy did lots of walking (yes - with her cam walker on since her foot is still broken). Then, we headed off to Mike's family reunion. Everyone told me I would be going late because my belly hadn't dropped at all.

On Sunday morning, about 5:30 a.m., I got up to use the bathroom. Got back into bed and felt something "pop." I thought our little peanut maybe made the decision to drop, but then I felt like I was peeing myself (I know, gross!). All I could think was she was pressing down on something that was causing me to lose bladder control. So I hobbled back into the bathroom and surprise, my water broke! I sat there for a second to take in what happened and then woke Mike up. We were both pretty shocked.

I called our doctor and doula and tried to labor at home for a little while ... but Mike was worried about not getting to the hospital in time (gotta love a first time dad). So we headed out around 8:30. Let me tell you, trying to get to the hospital AFTER your water breaks, NOT FUN! I swear, every time I got up or had a contraction, more water. So we used doggie pee pads on the car seat. Nice visual I'm sure - but I can assure you, it wasn't pretty.

When we arrived, I was 90% effaced and 1.5 cm dialated. Very disappointing. I thought this was going to take forever and I was already pretty uncomfortable.

I got moved into our delivery room around 10:30. They tried to put my IV in four times ... and each time, it "popped" (resulting in horrible bruises up and down both arms). They finally called an anesthesiologist in to do it.

At about 12:45, I was dilated to a four, 100% effaced and at station O. I was in a lot of pain, so I asked for the epidural. THANK GOODNESS! It came pretty quickly and by 1:20, I was feeling a bit of relief.

Unfortunately, that didn't last too long because I progressed pretty quickly. By 3:00, I was 9.5+ cm dilated.

At 3:22, I was absolutely miserable, telling Mike I was NEVER going to do this again. It wasn't really pain, but this HORRIBLE pressure. Definitely not something I had ever experienced before. I knew it was time.

Unfortunately, my doctor was busy delivering another baby and the dad in that room wasn't doing too well. So we had a resident - who was overseen by someone else, but honestly, at that point, I didn't even care. I just knew I wanted her out.

We started pushing shortly after. At one point, her heart rate dropped and I had to stop, got turned on my side and given oxygen. They stimulated her head and got it back up ... so I was able to keep going. After only 33 minutes of pushing, our sweet baby Averie arrived at 4:11.

Mike cried and I think I was still in shock that I actually did it. I got stiched up while Mike watched over her and soon enough, we were in recovery holding our little miracle.



I have a lot of great pics from the hospital ... just waiting to get them all from family. They are coming soon.

Other than that, I feel bad that I haven't talked with many of you - but this mom stuff is a lot of hard work. When you get a free moment, you really just want to curl up and relax. But Averie and I hope to see all of you soon ... at least once I get the ok to start driving again (still waiting on this foot to heal).

In the meantime, feel free to pop in for a visit, email or call. I love you all and thank everyone for the support and for convincing me to not immediately sign up for the c-section. I survived!



No comments:

Post a Comment